Tuesday, April 8, 2008

TWIDDLY GUITARS

I can't put it any other way. It seems like all the cool bands are buying themselves cotton crew neck sweaters in muted tones and delving into Paul Simon's "Graceland" and old Television albums.

Some do it better than others.
Vampire Weekend are the American contingency and latest pretenders to the throne. Disclaimer: The Song "A Punk" is not very punk.


When I saw this video...something told me that I had seen it...BEFORE. It bugged me all night until I realized it's a fucking WANG CHUNG video.


Cobrapants recommends you frame both in your screen together, play both at the same time and make your own video mashup!

Foals are from Oxford, UK. These are the downcast gloomers of the bunch, and have adopted the twiddly sound to a Cure/My Chemical Romance "Egads, I've just been cockpunched" vibe. If you think it sounds ghastly...it is. The song "Electric Bloom" contains the following examples of spectacularly cliched lyric writing at its finest.
"all I see is marching bands"
"dying kings"
"it's just another hospital"

P.U!

Lastly, Norway's Datarock
Okay, I'll admit that the first time I heard "Fa Fa Fa", I thought it was an LCD Soundsystem jam. And if you haven't heard of these guys, well, you'd better turn in your decorative PLO inspired neckscarf, you're out of the club. I saw Datarock live a few months ago, and they were SO. FREAKIN. TIGHT. I thought it was all canned. But it wasn't. This twiddly guitar affair puts Cobrapants in a good headspace...I see white beaches, blue water, a potent drink with an umbrella, maybe a coupla phatties...this is a feel good track indeed.

Winner?

DATAROCK BY A LANDSLIDE!!!!
Photobucket

JSTVSLV-Fa-Fa-FayoTechnology.mp3
"FA FA FAYO"
DJ STV SLV
Datarock vs 50 Cent

No comments: