Monday, May 5, 2008

Crystal Castles Craptastically Clobber Creative Commons

I couldn't have said it better myself. And that's the crux of this post. I didn't come up with that catchy title. It was a comment made by someone called "Plurgid". So, here's giving credit where it's due. Hats off to you, Plurgid! You're a cleverer wordsmith than me by FAR, and no, this blog post will not make me any money, but if it did, I'd give you a cut.

This is important. Crystal Castles is hitting critical mass. With a lot of love, comes a lot of hate. Frankly, I have serious informed opinions on the matter and if I was Perez Hilton, maybe I'd spill that shit but all I'm gonna say is I'm with Hipster Runoff on this one. Maybe this whole "crrraaaazy new 8-bit gameboy sound" that all the kids are raving about since they heard "Ayo Technology" is news to some, but to others, it ain't. Case in point:

8 Bit Collective
Lo-Bat
and my pal and longtime 8 bit cruncher
Touchboy

So, what's the fuckin' point? Well, I never got on the Crystal Castles train 'cause something always smelled rotten. And, while I always thought them to be...pretty unoriginal, well, that's just been SUPER confirmed. Plus often, I'm just not in the mood to be shrieked at by chicks who are skinnier than me. Long story short, not only are Crystal Castles endlessly rocking presets, they also appear to pilfer huge chunks outright of other artists songs. Yep, it's been said.

There is a far more thorough examination with tracks for comparison here at CREATE DIGITAL MUSIC . It's an enlightening read and opens up for discussion "just how original is original, these days?".

Touchboy
"Spice Time Is Love"

No comments: